Lakeside Engineers completed a program planning study for the Iowa DOT Office of Motor Vehicle Enforcement which involved articulating recommendations to guide continued investment in and future enhancements to their Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) safety and weight enforcement facilities, technology, and related resources. This project accomplished the five primary goals including:
- Identify best practices in CMV safety and weight enforcement operations and practice to inform and guide Iowa DOT decision-making
- Assess current DOT CMV safety and weight enforcement facilities and related technology
- Develop a basis for data-driven decisions regarding on-going and future investment in CMV safety and weight enforcement facilities, technology, and related resources, using the best available current and forecasted measures of CMV travel demand
- Recommend guiding principles for CMV safety and weight enforcement operations, as well as short-term revisions to and investments in those operations
- Develop a deployment strategy to implement report recommendations including identifying available grants or funding opportunities for freight specific projects
Lakeside Engineers continues to support the Motor Vehicle Enforcement program with on-site staff to provide assistance with facility maintenance activities, development of performance measures, drafting an Expanded CVISN Top Level Design plan, and calibrating existing WIM equipment.